Until the age of 21, I lived in Belgium. A beautiful first world country. In Belgium, the police is seen as a friend. Not the kind of friend you would share a joke with, but the friend you can go to when you are in trouble. When I spend time on the streets of South Africa, I find safety and security seeing the police drive by. My homeless friends don't agree with my view.

I have heard stories from my 5 homeless friends about the South African police. 
Nxokwe, Asana, Sipho, Oususwe and Steve.

Sipho told me how he and Steve were picked up by the police. The police shoved them into the back of the van and drove them to the outskirts of Port Elizabeth. There they were dropped off, on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere. The police told them to stay away.

On another occasion, one of the guys got picked up by the police. In the back of the police vehicle sitting next to him, was a Nigerian drug dealer. The dealer told the police to drive past an ATM. He withdrew R2000 and gave it to the police who promptly released him. The homeless man was taken to the police station and spent the night in jail.

Hearing their stories made me see with different eyes. 

One night as I chatted to some local 'business' men, I saw a police van pull up across the road. Part of me wanted to get closer and find out what was happening. I wanted to take some photo's and hear the conversations taking place. There were plenty locals chatting at the van window and there seemed to be numerous exchanges taking place.




My friends have told me countless other stories of the police abusing their power at the hands of the homeless.

It frustrates me that the poor and the weak get treated badly. Surely they already have a rough enough life. We don't need to add to their suffering.

Which injustices make you angry? 
What are you doing about it?

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (Tweet This)  Martin Luther King 


I know these are stories from nobodies. I don't know if they are true, but I doubt my friends would lie about them. I have no doubt that there are plenty of good police officers in South Africa fighting for justice and helping the oppressed.

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter