My feet left home for the streets wearing my old faithful sneakers and a comfy pair of socks. I returned home cold and bare foot.
In between, I met Jaco.

Jaco was an ex-Eastern Province under 18 rugby player. At a young age, he showed promise and captained his school rugby team.

In 2000, just before Jaco's final exams, his Father fell into a coma. After a week, Jaco and his mom were called in to make a tough decision. The doctor explained that there was little hope left and switching off the life-machine keeping his dad alive, was the right decision. At 18, Jaco's Dad died due to kidney failure. He had made the decision. He felt like his world had caved in.

Jaco still went ahead and wrote his final exams. Shortly afterwards, the family went on their annual holiday, to their holiday home. Jaco told me how sad he was, he missed his dad and during the holiday he started smoking marijuana to ease the painful memories of a lost dad.

A year later his mom passed away. This happened 3 weeks before he was due to leave to Stade de France Rugby club. For a second time, Jaco's world fell apart.

He got caught up in all kinds of drugs to numb the pain. He still qualified as a diesel mechanic, but his addictions stopped him from keeping down a stable job.

                                          Feet selfie...

Today, Jaco lives on the street. He is being haunted by the demon of Heroin. He knows that the stuff is killing him, but the addiction is too strong. He can't let go.

He wants to tell young people about the danger of drugs, but he knows that he needs to get clean.

While we hung out, I noticed that he struggled to walk. So I asked what was wrong. He showed me his feet. His toes were injured and bleeding. His shoes were way too small. In that moment I offered him my shoes and socks.

He was so grateful.


There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up. John Holmes (Tweet This)


Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter