Today I purchased myself two exciting new best friends.



I bought myself awesome running shoes. I promise to show a photo of these shoes in a years time so you can see if they have been used or they have in fact collected dust.

I faced a real conundrum in the shop... To buy or not to buy. They were not the most expensive running shoes, but also not the cheapest ones. They cost R1300 - about £80. That is a lot of money for a pair of shoes. I felt bad spending this kind of money on shoes, but my goal this year has moved from getting fit, and doing some kick boxing to getting freaking ridiculous fit and running a marathon before the end of the year. 

I felt I needed these shoes...
I need to protect my knees...
They look cool...
Do I need more reasons?
It is just a pair of shoes.

Last night I went back to the streets. I ended up hanging with the car guards on our main restaurant street.

I asked them the one question I should not have asked them:
"How much do you earn a day?"
Why did I ask it? I don't know. I am just curious. I ask people questions. I should have known that I didn't really want to know the answer.

The answer:
On a good day a car guard makes between R80 and R100 (£4.50 - £5.20), but on a bad day it can be less than R50 (£2.70)

Oh in that moment, how I hated my fancy ponsy ridiculous looking green shoes. I spent more than 3 weeks of this guys salary on those running shoes?!?!? Have I gone mad? What is wrong with me...

I don't know the answers in terms of right and wrong. I am judging nobody. If you just bought a Porche. May you enjoy it to the fullest...

This one is between you and God, or you and yourself...

Car guards often annoy me as they come and ask money while sitting around. But I will not moan anymore. They are people with families who are trying to make their lives work. I have always been pretty generous, but I will become more generous.

I want to. Jesus would have been.

Our lives are not defined by the things we possess. Our lives are defined by the things we pursue. (Tweet This) Joshua Becker - http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter