On a Sunday evening, early December, I attended one of the more fashionable churches in PE. It was nice, very nice, but really just nice. Everything worked. Except my heart. I sang songs which were beautiful. I heard a very good message, but after the service I felt completely empty and dry.

I was invited by really great people for a hangout after. I turned it down. Just three days after Nelson Mandela had died, I needed something else. I got in my car and started driving home. I saw a homeless man. I wanted to drive past, but I just couldn't. I went to the local grocery store and bought food to give to him, but instead of giving it through my window from the safety of my car I got out and went to sit with him on his cardboard box.

We chatted and he grew from homeless to human. His name is Alfred. Al-fred. He is a lovely older man who used to live inland, but could not find work so he lives outside a college where he guards cars for a living during the day. We became friends.

And so began my quest for freedom.. and my challenge to spend a night on the street with Alfred.


The streets whisper many stories. That Friday night I began walking the streets feeling at peace. I saw Prostitutes being picked up men that could have been my neighbour - it wasn't my neighbour in case you wondered. It seemed so normal. I saw drug dealers standing in small groups looking intimidating.

I found out that most Nigerians in Parliament street struggle to remember their own name. One of the dealers started laughing when I asked his name, then paused and replied "Kevin, - I am Kevin." We both laughed as it obviously wasn't. He seemed a nice enough guy. He had left Nigeria to flee the problems there. Now he was a 'business' man who "Could make all my dreams come true!"

So many problems on the street. It was painful to see all the hurting people seeking something more. I guess in most streets in every city around the world there is pain. It just isn't always as obvious as in this street.

Later, another massive Nigerian joined me on my walk. He introduced himself as Divine, or Michael, or whatever I wanted to call him. We walked the streets for some time. We chatted. Tough on the outside, but human underneath all the hardness. He just plays his role to make life work for him.

Which role do you play in life? Are you true to yourself?

Divine gave me the quote of the night: "I love God above anything else and my purpose in life is to serve him with all I have and to do my 'Business' to the best of my ability."

He is a Pimp drug dealer. It was so surreal.


These Nigerian drug dealers were very kind to me. 
I realize that they are people just like you and me. No better no worse.