I am begging - You walk by

When I smile - you think I am high
When I look sad - you think I have a hang over
When I cough - you think you should start running, from TB..or HIV
When I scratch my nose - you think I just snorted coke
When I look into your eyes - you think I am challenging you
When I look tired - you think I am lazy
You don't want to make eye contact - it makes me human
I can't get it right. You just keep on walking.
The next 'You' will walk past. I'll try harder

Who do you judge?
When we judge people, we deceive ourselves. (Tweet This)

I have always wondered if begging is the next get quick rich scheme (Tweet This) I should try. I joined some of my homeless friends for a couple of hours to beg outside a local grocery store.


There were about 5 of us. Homeless. Begging

The first lady gave us a plastic container of leftovers. She eyed the 5 of us in a row. She ended up looking at me saying: "Here, you look like the poorest and the one who needs it most". So there I was literally blending in with the homeless.

Accepting her gift was difficult. I told the kind lady that the guys next to me needed it more. My pride was running a rebellion against receiving a free gift. I found it so hard to be given something.

What hurts your pride?

My homeless friends all laughed as they know I am not homeless. They thought this was the funniest thing ever. We laughed together...

Between all of us we made R15, a bottle of milk and a loaf of bread in 3 hours. We had to share this between 5 people. I did not keep my share.
I did not enjoy begging. It is not something plan to do often. I guess nobody plans on living that way.


Here are my conclusions: You don't have to give beggars something, but acknowledge them. Show them that you see them as a fellow human. Actually you should give them something: a smile, a greeting, an acknowledgement of humanity and maybe you will join in healing some hurts and brokenness in this broken world.  

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter