Most of my stories have been pretty negative. Real, but not very uplifting. I feel for the readers of this blog. After each read, you are likely to need a couple of days to recover. 

I don't want to push any of you over the edge! This is a search for hearts, hope and freedom... To find the happy and positive stories of the streets. I wish I could tell you hundreds of feel-good stories. Stories of happiness, joy, kittens and lavender fields.

Unfortunately these stories are rare, but I found one...

5 nights a week a local Charity, Love Story, organises a soup kitchen in front of the City Hall in PE.

In the past, I have volunteered in soup kitchens. It always made ME feel good. I was doing something for someone else... This time however, I wanted to find out how it was to be the homeless person.

Sunday evening, I dressed up in my 'street' outfit and joined the group of hungry people, sitting around listening to a guy sharing the word of God. I came late so I don't know what was said. All I know is that I felt really welcome. Even though I came late I still got food and the volunteers made me feel at ease.

Love Story is warm, friendly and genuine. Luke Watson; former Springbok, Southern Kings Captain and Controversial Media Figure, chatted to many of the homeless people. He and the Love Story Team knew most of the people by name. Everyone who was there for food was encouraged personally by the volunteers. Some of the locals are challenging to say the least. Drug users, Criminals, Prostitutes... They all got an equal treatment and many encouraging words.


The food was really good.  I have to be honest. I was worried about the food. I kind of expected it to be cheap watery soup made from leftovers and expired veggies, but it tasted really good. I hung around with my friend Bruce who was boasting about a robbery he had pulled off the previous night. I also chatted with the volunteers. I left the soup kitchen genuinely encouraged. 

Sometimes we focus so much on the darkness, We don't notice the rays of light on the horizon.(Tweet This

I found a ray of hope in the darkness.


I was mightily impressed with Love Story. What you are doing is making a difference. Well done to all the volunteers. You are the real heroes.

The homeless and I salute you and THANK YOU!!!              Respect  

For everyone involved in giving their time to the weak and poor, BE ENCOURAGED! Changes are often very slow. Sometimes it seems like nothing is changing at all. But know this; you are making a difference. The homeless people I spend time with, love the feeding initiatives and they respect the time and effort people put in.

Where are you investing your time and energy? 


What can you do to make a difference? 

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter