Every year I plan to write down some of my hopes and dreams for the New Year. I never do it as 'busyness' takes over. I know these ones are rather late, but better late than never. 

Nonetheless 14 Hopes for 2014:

1) SQUASH NEGATIVITY. I am inclined to be critical. It is not a good thing. St. Benedict said that speaking negatively about people (even with well-warranted reasons) is “poison”, and it rots away the foundation of community. In its place I hope to practice honest confrontation when hurt or offended and encourage others to do the same. 

2) USE TECHNOLOGY WISELY. Like a hammer or any tool, phones and computers can be used constructively or destructively. I want to treat my technology like I do my other tools – use them when I need them. And I don’t need my tools telling me when to work. Facebook friends can be like microwave meals – they take little energy to make, but they can also leave you malnourished. (Tweet This)

3) READ MORE FICTION – during the last couple of years I have mainly read serious books written by serious men. 2014 is a year to read some more stories and less theories.

4) QUENCH FEAR. So many times I catch myself doing or not doing certain things in life because I am scared. Fear still rules to many decisions. I want to fight for change that needs to be made to find freedom for myself and for others.

5) LIVE A LIFE THAT IS SIMPLE… AND STILL BEAUTIFUL. Simple living does not mean ugly living. I want to be free like the lilies and sparrows – free of consumerism and clutter and noise– and be surrounded with wonder and beauty. And I want to make cool things out of trash. 

6) BE NICE TO SOMEONE WHO IT IS VERY HARD TO BE NICE TO. Being nice is just as important as being right. I hope to disagree well with those who disagree with me. I hope to go out of my way to wear down mean people with love. 

7)SPEND MORE MONEY ON OTHERS THAN ON MYSELF. It’s been said that “budgets are moral documents”.


8) BE A MINORITY more often. I hope to put myself in situations where I am surrounded by people who are not all like me (age, gender, ethnicity, economics, religion, politics…), and where who I am may be the exception rather than the norm. 

9) KEEP THE SABBATH HOLY. Old idea – originally God’s idea for everyone. Surely I want to integrate work and rest and holy leisure every day, but one day a week I hope to rest in a special way – and do things that refresh my soul. 

10) LEARN A NEW SKILL. Over the years I’ve stopped learning new things. This year I want to change that. So the goal is to learn kickboxing, sewing and Xhosa. Kickboxing is something i have wanted to do for long time, but never got around to it, because part of me thought it was evil. Sewing is something I never wanted to learn, but seems like a useful skill. Xhosa is the majority language spoken in the area of the country where I live. For too long have I felt that people should meet me in my English language. Time to step out.

11) LAUGH OFTEN. I have a friend who says, “If we can’t laugh then the devil has already won.” People can be so serious… and need to loosen up a little. Joy comes from the confidence that the world doesn’t have to stay the way it is. It also helps win over those who oppose you – it’s hard to hate folks who make you smile.

12) JOIN THE HEALTHY FOOD REVOLUTION. I’m a sucker for unhealthy food. Keeping in mind that I am Belgian and chocolate flows through my veins this is a biggy. In 2014, I want to jump-off the grease and sugar food train, and do something crazy – learn to eat healthy food again. I know, so trendy… but some trends are good. Hope to grow as much food as possible, and share as many good home-cooked meals as possible with as many hungry people as possible. 

13) MAKE A NEW FRIEND… who is different from me. We’re all most comfortable around people like us (whoever “we” are), and most uncomfortable around people not like us. Inspired by some Muslims who have started a movement to move “from fear to friendship”, I hope to make some new friends who don’t all share my beliefs or background. And I like my old friends and hope to keep them too. 

14) DREAM. Keep dreaming of a better world for all. Help other people to dream and to follow their dreams. Somebody once said: when we stop dreaming we stop living. (Tweet This) It might not be so dramatic, but when we stop dreaming something in us surely dies.

With special thanks to Shaine Claiborne for inspiring me!

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter