Darren is one of the more 'famous' homeless people in Port Elizabeth. Every day he begs at the same traffic lights. He is hard to miss with his long blond hair.

I took Darren out for a KFC meal. He ordered a chocolate milkshake and a Zinger burger with chips. I had a coffee.

We sat down and chatted about life. I asked Darren some questions.

Like most of my homeless friends life has been tough on him. I guess life is not just tough for my homeless friends.
Maybe life is tough for you right now...


I asked Darren how he finds happiness..

I find happiness in the now. Right now I am happy. I am drinking a chocolate milkshake. That makes me happy.
I am quite a happy man. I try to live in the moment. Most of you always try to live in the future. You get home in the evening and have a nice meal with your family. You should be happy, but instead you start talking about work. Straight away dropping that word - work - in the moment makes you think about tomorrow and the responsibilities that are coming your way.

Stop thinking about tomorrow, even about later today. Live now. If now makes you happy. Be happy. You can only live now. Worrying about tomorrow will not add anything.


I sat there silently thinking. Feeling ever so slightly tearing up. It make me realize I need to enjoy the now more and tomorrow will take care of itself.


What are you grateful for now? 

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter