He told me parts of his story. It was shocking. I didn't want to hear. Nobody wants to hear these stories.

This is Wayne's voice. He is 34 years old. We are the same age, but his life has been different from mine... wow

"I still remember that day. I was 21.
I was sleeping in an alley around the corner of Parliament Street. I was woken up by a sound. When I opened my eyes, all I could see was a knife coming closer to my face. In that instance, I reacted. I grabbed the knife and stabbed the guy once in the heart. I think he dropped dead immediately.

His friend panicked and kicked me. I grabbed his leg and kicked in his other knee. It snapped. When he was on the ground I stabbed him twice...  That night changed the course of my life for the worse. I was jailed for life.
Last year I was released for good behaviour. I learned a lot in prison. Good and bad things, but I think I am a better person now.
Prison is a hard place to be. There are many gangs and the violence is high. You always have to watch your back. I am trying to change my ways, but that is not easy living on the streets.
                                Casual selfie of me and a murderer - I smile because I am scared!

Wayne has been living on the streets since he was 10. He has a past coloured with domestic abuse. His dad was in prison. He watched his step dad beat his mom. His mom beat him. His step dad beat him...

I am not justifying what he did in life, but he has had a tough wrap.

While I grew up in a loving home and a great education, Wayne had to fight for himself from a young age.

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela (Tweet This)


I feel sorry for him... 

What are you grateful for? 

Share and Connect:

You can share this story on twitter by clicking here. I would love you to connect more with me through Facebook or Twitter