I am slightly 'beneuk' - read overly scared - of getting cancer.

When I found out that I had three new brown spots on my back I got seriously worried. I tried to make light of it, but my mind kept thinking the worst.

My mind is my most powerful muscle. Unfortunately it's not been trained very well.

I started thinking about a world without me. I started planning my estate. My mind started projecting all my unfulfilled dreams on the sky canvas around me. All this for three 5mm spots on my back.
My mom is a doctor so I got her to have a look at my back over skype. Note to self: Computer camera's are not the most accurate broadcasters of details.
She concluded that her conclusion was inconclusive.
She told me I should go and find a second opinion and that - by the way - many skin cancers are not easily treatable. Why did she have to add that last bit.

All this happened on a public holiday so the doctors locally are closed. I nearly went to emergency. Imagine this: people with shot wounds, car accidents, kidney failures and me with my three brown spots.
However in my mind this was quickly becoming an emergency.

The following day I got up and made an appointment with the doctor. The doctor was conclusive in telling me that the spots are signs of getting older. Like I need spots to tell me that. He convinced me that seeing a doctor was the right thing.
But he would that's how he gets paid.

So I'll live to fight another day.


Oh and the three spots got burned off. Serves them just right little scary bastards.